How To Use the Steering Wheel
From Blocksworld Wiki
- Before beginning this How To it is recommended that you learn How To Build and Publish a World and How To Use Action Blocks and Actions.
- The Steering Wheel block allows you to easily define how a vehicle drives, steers, and even jumps on a single block! In order to build a vehicle with the Steering Wheel you'll need a few basic Building Blocks, Action Blocks and some basic scripting knowledge.
- First you'll need a chassis. Then you'll need to attach wheels to the chassis. And then finally attach a Steering Wheel block to the vehicle and choose the preset you prefer and start driving!
- Let's get started...
- Build a new world, preferably Blockster Bay.
- Open the Blocks tab of the Build Panel.
- See the Step 2 image on the right.
- Drag a cube out from the Blocks tab of the Build Panel and onto the ground.
- With the cube selected drag the orange Stretch Tool to stretch the cube a couple clicks longer in one horizontal direction to form a short rectangle. This rectangle will act as the car's chassis.
- If not already selected, tap on the cube to select it.
- In order to scale the cube horizontally you may have to rotate the camera to be slightly above the cube by tapping and dragging the ground.
- Open the Action Blocks tab on the Build Panel.
- Drag a wheel from the Build Panel and place it on the ground next to the cube.
- With the wheel selected drag the blue Move Tool to move the wheel so that the axle touches the elongated cube.
- The white arrow on top of the wheel points in the direction the wheel will move in (the white arrow is only visible when the wheel is selected).
- You may have to drag the green Rotate Tool to rotate the wheel to be flush with the chassis and pointed in the right direction.
- See the Step 7 image on the right.
- Repeat Steps 6 and 7 for the remaining three wheels.
- For the purposes of this How To the wheels should be placed on the four corners of the chassis as you would expect to see on a real car.
- However, the Steering Wheel supports any number of wheels, tank treads or a combination of the two! Feel free to go crazy!
- Drag the Steering Wheel block from the Build Panel and place it onto the top of the chassis.
- With the Steering Wheel selected drag the Action Panel out so that it is fully visible.
- The Action Panel is a small grey tab on the left-most side of the screen. However, it is only visible when a block is selected.
- Notice that the Steering Wheel is already programmed with a Control mode, a Drive mode, a Speed adjuster and a steering Angle adjuster.
- You can cycle through Control and Drive modes by tapping on their icons. Visit the Steering Wheel Action Blocks page to see all the different options.
- When you're happy with your vehicle presets press Play in the upper left corner and start driving!
- We encourage you to experiment with different types of vehicles and share your results!
Tips and Tricks
- Keep in mind when using the Steering Wheel block that it is no longer necessary to program each individual wheel.
- The Steering Wheel block ignores the direction indicators on individual wheels. In other words it's totally okay if one of the wheels on your vehicle is technically pointed backwards; the Steering Wheel will know what to do!
- Think about the balance of your vehicle and how weight may affect its performance.
- Use the new Mass action to make individual blocks heavier or lighter and help tune your vehicle for ultimate performance!